Thursday 3 October 2013

National Day 2013

Sometimes I can been seen strolling through Jinan dressed as above. You see, apart from the pollution caused by the steel factories all around the city, there seems to be endless ongoing construction work which helpfully channels tiny dust particles into the lungs of passers by, making it relatively unpleasant to walk around. However, this mask I am sporting, was bought very cheaply from a local pharacy, so I doubt it actually does any good - it probably does me more harm so I don't wear it that much.

National Day in China is October the 1st, the day in 1949 when the People's Republic of China was formed by the Communist party, led by Mao Zedong.

On this day I did a little shopping, then ate an interesting noddle and quail-egg dish:



Later I met up with some English teachers and we went to the Muslim Quarter and ate barbecued meat on sticks. To be honest I was really disappointed with the fact that we were going to eat barbecue. We did it once before and what happens is that I pay a lot of money and eat almost nothing. I don't like eating the fatty part of the meat, and that's all they put on the stick. Then there's the waiting for the meat to be cooked which is a real pain. Not my favourite thing about Chinese cuisine I must say.

On my walk home from the meal, I passed by Quancheng Square, the main square in Jinan. It was more full than I'd ever seen it before and people were flying LED-lit kites, roller skating and listening to live music. At 8pm the most beautiful fountain display I've ever seen started. The music in the background was Ave Maria and the water from the fountain danced more beautifully than any dancer could. It was incredible how the water swirled and twirled in perfect time to the song.



Watch out for the massive hole in the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment