Thursday 2 January 2014

The Always Christmas Party


 What did the 'Always Christmas Party' involve? On my part, it involved getting paid for standing in the corner of the room, clutching my bottle of water for dear life and saying 'Merry Christmas' every now and then. For the kids, it involved either pinning the moustache on Santa's face, getting across the classroom back-to-back, without decapitating themselves (each pair of kids had their head inside a square of sharp paper, so that if they pulled too far from the person they were leaning their back on, they would probably have cut their necks pretty seriously) and a third game which I fail to remember.

 Now, for some reason whist I was standing in one of the corners of one of the rooms, looking like quite the spare part, I almost burst into tears. Playing, was Katy Perry's Fireworks song and in front of me were around 30 little kids, or bursting with happiness. The joy that they emanated was so real and so pure and the song being played was talking about the special something inside everyone of us, that it was almost too much for me. I couldn't help welling up at the thought of how the World we live in successfully manages to take this joy that we have when we are young, and turn it into disillusionment, anger and hate.


Is it possible to hold onto that childhood joy forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment