Thursday 2 January 2014

My friend. Yes some people do actually want to spend time with me. (Just kidding! I paid this guy to stand for the photo.)

Mi amigo
I often feel like the Universe gives me what I need when I most need it. Folks, life for me here in China gets pretty damn lonely. Most of the time when I am not at work, I have no idea what to do with myself. This is really abnormal for someone who used to thrive on a jam-packed daily schedule.
Anyway, at one of my lowest points, I met the Chinese friend I mentioned in an earlier post. I met up with him yesterday to see if he could help me find someone who wants to buy my three big textbooks.  These bad boys gave me endless back pain when I was lugging them around Thailand, so I'm not prepared to continue with this self-inflicted torture when I go to les Etats-Unis.
 So, this Chinese boy was really like the answer to my prayers. His English is amazing, he's very intelligent and an excellent listener. And he appreciates my crazy ideas and life plans due to his open-mindedness. He's like the perfect prescription to what I was suffering from. I think I came in handy for him too, he could practise his English and he's found University life pretty lonely too.
Above is a picture of the colourful water containers that the University students fill up and take with them to their dorms.

I'm off to buy the ingredients for Koshari now. It's ridiculous how much I miss Egyptian food. People, family, I can live without, but it's eating the food with the people/family that drives me insane. Today, I saw a woman carrying two large yellow fruits. My heart skipped for joy when I thought she was holding two golden guavas, and memories of guava-filled Egyptian summers danced around my head, but alas she was holding two Chinese pears (in my opinion these shouldn't even be brushed with the same namesake as other more superior pears. These are all water and no juice. Very disappointing indeed).

No comments:

Post a Comment