Thursday 26 September 2013

Garlic! I've found the evidence!

This morning I woke up very hungry. I opened my fridge and found that all I had was lettuce, half an aubergine, some tomatoes, some ginger and two lemons. Sure I could have whipped something up from them but I wanted something more substantial (read doughy), so I headed down towards the UniMart store where I knew I'd find dumplings and soup along the way.
UniMarts are everywhere in Jinan
UniMart sells basic food stuff but I usually I just get yoghurt. They also sell ready-made corn, eggs and glutinous rice.
Buy corn on the cob, glutinous rice and brown eggs here!
On my way I saw a stall selling the dumplings I wanted, so I stopped there and bought 2 dumplings and a bowl of grey soup (that I would soon discover is made from some sort of leftover fish - at least that's what it tastes like) and which I subsequently vowed never to let near my mouth again.
Dumpling Steamers

I had just taken a shower, my hair was wet, the air cold hence the scarf

Mmmm dumplings and raw garlic
Now, what should I find on every table but a bowlful of raw garlic cloves! My theory has been proven (somewhat)! It seems that it is customary to eat raw garlic cloves at breakfast (and possible throughout the day for all I know) and that would explain the smell. [I believe my family member who emitted the same noxious smell also regularly ate raw garlic!] Eureka!

I had 2 dumplings that were stuffed with steamed carrot and black funghi, and I tried the seafood soup but I couldn't manage more than two sips of it.

I'd also like to close by showing you the prison that I live right in front of. I have to pass this everyday, as well as a garbage depot, which is all very nice.
Le women's prison



No comments:

Post a Comment