Saturday 17 August 2013

Surprise! I'm in Egypt!

It's been a while since my last post. In short, whilst I was at the retreat in Chiang Mai I had a strong urge to be with my family. I'd disappointed my mum by cancelling my trip to Egypt last minute and I felt that I had achieved all I wanted to achieve in Thailand and I was ready to see me family.

So, I've been in Egypt for 3 weeks or so. I spent the last week of Ramadan with my  family, we sent 5 days on the Mediterranean, near Alexandria, and I now have a few days before I go to China, via Bangkok.

Yesterday was pretty intense. 60 people died and I saw a man on a motorcycle with blood running down his entire length. I went out into the street only twice and both times I felt like I was in serious danger. I started imagining what it would be like if I got stabbed or shot. I was really prepared for anything.

My cousin and I walked to the main road where there were groups of men and teenagers standing guard against a Muslim Brotherhood attack.  We were looking for our male cousins who we had told to go down to the main street so that we could take a picture of them as they appeared on our TV at home.

I focused on my breathing the entire walk down so that I wouldn't panic, my cousin however was not as calm. We got to the main street and a man told us to go back home. He said there were teenage boys from the 'slums' who were known to be volatile and dangerous. This scared me more than a Muslim Brotherhood attack because it meant that I had to be on the look out for everyone.

With that I called out to my cousin and we walked back home. I hated how easily I let myself panic.

On of the most important lessons I learnt yesterday was that I can no longer blindly trust the media. The Al Jazzera arabic channel we sometimes watch, constantly streams one side of the story - the Muslim Brotherhood's side. But it's not just them. The BBC, the Guardian, and a lot of other news sources use biased, emotive words such as 'massacre', 'bloodshed', 'bloodbath' to explain what is going on.

They are painting a picture that the Egyptian military are indiscriminately slaughtering Egyptians just to maintain power and keep the 'coup' alive. They are painting the picture that the military is against democracy and its power-hungry eyes cannot bare to watch a democratic Egypt taking shape.

WRONG! How on Earth was Morsy and his administration democratic???? Morsy made himself above the constitution, above the law. He made himself into a dictator. This, therefore, is a step towards democracy, not away from it.

It's also funny how the media is portraying how its the Egyptian military against innocent Egyptians. WRONG AGAIN! The Egyptian people on the whole support the military with all its heart. After it saw the oppression and ignorance of the Muslim Brotherhood over the last year, ordinary Egyptians have had enough.

It therefore is not the Egyptian military against the Egyptian people, it is the Egyptian military and the Egyptian people against Muslim Brotherhood terrorists. They keep harping on about their 'peaceful' ways but actually 'peaceful' is their code word for 'create as much carnage as you possibly can, then add a bit extra just for kicks'.

Yesterday was also the first day I developed a genuine, emotionally-invested interest in current affairs. I had never related current affairs to my own life before, but after yesterday I can't stop reading the news. I knew nothing before!

So I'll close by saying... I see a bright future for Egypt. I see that Egypt will overcome this terrorist threat and start to re-build its country. I see that the Egyptian people will emerge stronger than ever before after these few years. They will remember who they are and feel empowered to take control of their lives once more. I hope to one day come and live in Egypt and work in the education system, to try to empower as many young Egyptians as I can.

1 comment: